Sunday, February 15, 2009

STRAY SHOPPIING CARTS


What a day! What started as a cerebral day commemorating Galileo’s 400th birthday, complete with cake, quickly devolved into trash talk complete with a stunning analysis of the Niagara Falls River Gorge vandalism super site. Wait, more on that later.

We figured Rodney Dangerfield probably had Galileo in mind when he famously said, “I don’t get no respect”. The poor guy had made it through the inquisition, only to have his mistress marry his best friend, and his daughters fled to safety in a nearby convent. Not to let Galileo’s memory escape us and his birthday to pass unrecognized we decided a celebration in his honor would be appropriate. We even exchanged gifts. It is the middle of winter in Maine and not much happens at Well Sweep Farm this time of year so we have to be a little inventive.

When it came time to open my present, given to me by my daughter-in-law, all were thrilled to see I had been the recipient of the much sought after definitive guide THE STRAY SHOPPING CARTS OF EASTERN NORTH AMERICA.
My daughter-in-law knows me all too well and she rightly guessed I would want to curl up by the fire and immerse myself in this esoteric study of stray shopping carts, patiently waiting for the snow to clear so I could drag my poor wife (she’s a saint) along to scout out some of the many locations highlighted in the field guide.

The authors claim that what many people may simply see as a sign of urban blight is actually an indicator of consumer society gone too far. This seminal book contains a complete classification system with numerous photographs to aid in identification. This handsome book will rest right next to my dog-eared Field Guide to North American Birds, ready for my next outing.

One can only hope there is money in the freshly minted stimulus plan earmarked for The Niagara Gorge clean up project. You will have to buy your own copy to fully appreciate the beauty of this; it’s available on Amazon, like everything else in the world.

With all the empty houses dotting the land as a result of foreclosures it doesn’t seem as if volunteers for Habitat for Humanity would be much in demand so if I can convince my wife to accompany me we may do our part by joining in the Niagara project. Based on the reception I received from my wife when I suggested this field trip I may have to wait for a second round of financing from Congress if they consider the plight of stray plastic bags, discarded tires, and stray traffic cones. I’m a little disappointed as I always wanted to see Niagara Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment